We have 37 guests and no members online

Member Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What if I overeat out of habit?

What if I overeat out of habit? 05 Feb 2012 08:32 #100

• Betty
  • Fresh Boarder
That's my question right now. I am only 1/2 way through the OO book and want to accept that there's a way out of the diet/no diet thinking. My question, however, is what if I overeat out of habit? Maybe I'm just greedy and love to eat :( I'm not sure that this is the case, but how do I know?

Also, when I think about my "forbidden food", I have to admit that anything can be on the list. I've turned healthy cereal (sugar free and everything) into an unhealthy snack food. I haven't bought all of my favourite and forbidden food because it could be anything. Most of the time, too, I go OUT for my forbidden food - I go and get a coffe and a slice of something sweet - how does this work with OO?

I'm so confused, but also ready for my food issues to go away. I'm nearly 43 and very much over it!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What if I overeat out of habit? 12 Feb 2012 15:56 #103

• Earthgrrl64
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi,
I undstand the habitual eating stuff.

For me, it is not that I am greedy, it is that I do not want to sit with whatever feelings come up out of I do not eat when I am not hungry.

Boredom and anxiety are my main feelings that I cannot seem to stand.

My challenge is to be there for the part of me that is bored or anxious. Like a good mom for her child. It is hard. it takes practice to get good at it. I also do not get to chastise myself when I mess up. This habitual eater is like a little kid. Kids respond with loving compassionate boundaries.

That part of me that wants to eat NOW out of habit is the place where I need to work. Sit with that feeling, understand it, but do not indulge it to make it go away. Like a little kid, if that kid got a. Ew toy every time It screamed for it, it would never learn how to deal with its feelings.

I am not good at this. I still seem to habitually eat at night.

Re: What if I overeat out of habit? 13 Feb 2012 06:55 #104

• Betty
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow, I think you've helped me nail it. I hate boredom. Even when I'm chilling, watching TV, I still need to be doing something else. I take knitting to the cinema. And I just remembered--I'm an only child, and my parents were incredibly strict when I was growing up. I wasn't allowed to have friends over, or even visit or go out with friends. For some of my early childhood, we lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere and there were no children around, and I was a latchkey kid. I was bored A LOT.

Ok, that's quite the revelation for me... So what do I do with the information? How do I change things? I guess I'll keep reading.
xj
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds