We have 113 guests and no members online

Member Login

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: new/old

new/old 21 Apr 2012 06:57 #161

• hayley
  • Fresh Boarder
is that the emoticon for somone gritting their teeth? I hope so.

hi all. I'm new here and I've been reading the OO book with some hope recently. I have binged/overeaten all my life and had 10 years of bulimia in there too. now, though so much has changed, I still eat in a way that feels unhappy and unhealthy. what I have been wondering about is how OO might apply to someone who stopped dieting a long time ago (I truly know I will never diet again), but still continue to eat in a self hating and destructive way? I don't want to spend the rest of my life eating like this and thinking about food in an obsessive way. the idea that would be possible to have a bad week and not use food to sooth that, or that i would trust myself to have food in the house is so appealing. anyone else here starting out? anyone intersted in doing some checking in? this feels like a lonely journey from here.

thanks for reading

h.x
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: new/old 21 Apr 2012 09:59 #163

• rajones!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Personally I don't take the specifics of the language too literal. I don't necessarily find that I binge a whole lot as much as overeat all day long. I think the ideas are supposed to apply to all types of compulsive overeating. I think the idea is that if you're using food in anyway that is restrictive or in a sheer effort to reward or punish yourself because of your weight, then its a "diet". I just recently went on my "legalising shopping trip" for food! Maybe you should try it?

Re: new/old 21 Apr 2012 10:11 #164

• hayley
  • Fresh Boarder
hi rajones,

thanks, that's really helpful. you're right, my idea of what constitutes a diet was quite limited. The thought of a "legalising shopping trip" is both appealing and terrifying. History tells me that whenever i have bought certain foods (cereal, bread, cheese, biscuits) with the intention of "eating them normally" i have finished them within the day.... how's it going for you after the shopping trip?

h.x

Re: new/old 21 Apr 2012 10:30 #166

• rajones!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
My shopping trip was great! And I ate what I wanted and as much as I wanted. The idea is to forgive yourself. To tell yourself that this is just the way your dealing with your problems for now. Try and find a way to not judge yourself. The idea is that hating yourself is getting you nowhere good and that makes sense right? Have you tried the mirror work yet? Its part of the first steps and its really hard but I find it to be extremely helpful. Whats funny is a few years ago I had come to the conclusion (before even knowing about these books) that my weight problems HAD to be about something other than my knowledge of nutrtion or exercise and that it was most likely tied up in self worthlessness. I tried then to look in the mirror and say nice things to myself. And it WAS helping. But then I let life "get in the way" and slipped backwards. I began doing mirror work again and I'm telling you it works. I mean think about it...you know how they say if you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth. Well, this is really no different except when you start to believe it will feel good because its NOT a lie!! I'm sure you are a beautiful and worthy person and you deserve to be nice to yourself. We all do
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackibar

Re: new/old 24 Apr 2012 14:45 #172

• jackibar
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi, H.X.!

Just wanted to welcome you here and let you know you're not alone! Please continue to share your experiences - fears, frustrations, questions, victories! It all helps the rest of us :)

Re: new/old 29 Apr 2012 01:54 #175

• marys1987777
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
i have to think about oo as a journey somedays i do well not dieting, etc., etc., some days not but i know that this is better than what my life was with diets - it took a long time to get where i am and it will take some time to turn around - hang in there and you are not alone!
Time to create page: 0.526 seconds